Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Was listening to the Beatles' song. Had to, coz it will be the discussion for today's literature class. I wish I could master English way earlier than I am today. Though reading is one of the boring thing I lack but I do like it sometimes, actually the interest part depends on the materials and the quality. The main concern is the wording. That's how Quranic verses are way more cool than other verses on Earth. IF you understand the beauty of Quranic language, you'll know what I mean.

Am I born for language? I don't think so, though I like observing how people arrange their words, I do believe I am not good either. Sometimes, it is darn hard to find a single word appropriate to express the intended idea. But, to some people, they say I am doing okay. Still, I hate to tell myself my language is good enough, coz when I read stories and observe the wording and the narration, the author's (and perhaps the translator's too), is way more beautiful. The worst president is the one who could not produce or write a book. But in my case, not even a book, a good paper is way ahead of my pen and fingers.

When you read English lyrics, they sound fine. But, when you translate the wording, hardly to find one good enough for the ears. Why? Do language plays important role in altering the mode and mood of the expression? If Japanese Japanize so many English words into theirs, why is that and how is that possible? But, what do you feel when Malay adapt to so many English language into its language system? Will the culture be affected? Will the way of life be different? What about Arabic? Is there is any emotion or cultural element imposed in the language/words?

I should go to bed. But, I do need to finish my reading on Norwegian Wood's chapter 4. The author is Murakami Haruki. He's Japanese, but the story feels like it is orginated from the West. Weird? It's a mixture of West and East, should we put it like that? Celebrating pop-culture and the Western culture in the setting of Eastern environment. No problem, aight? But, this really reminds me of Salman Rushdie's comment made on CNN channel yesterday, the question is not the clash between the West and the Muslim world, but the big Q is the clash/war in the Muslim world itself. Ah, who cares about what he said. Everyone hates him so much, but does that mean we could simply reject any articulated opinion? Ah, who cares... bed is calling...

___________________
The Beatles sings 'Please Mr. Postman,' but I sing 'Please Myself'... yamete yo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home